Canada has a high quality health care system that is government funded.

In Peel Region, everyone has access to a wide variety of health resources and services. Your medical coverage through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) will begin after 90 days of your arrival in Ontario.

If you need medical care while you wait for OHIP coverage, it is better to buy a private health insurance before coming to Canada or within 5 days of arriving in Ontario. You may not be approved for coverage if you apply for private insurance 5 days or more after your arrival.

Live in Mississauga? The Newcomer Guide to Health and Social Services for the City of Mississauga provides information on local services, including resources for mental health and addictions, women’s health and wellness, early childhood, older adults’ and seniors’ health, 2SLGBTQ+ health, and more (employment, housing, income support, etc.). The Guide is available in multiple languages: English | French | Arabic | Urdu | Mandarin. 

911 Emergency

When you have an emergency, you can call 9-1-1 for free from any telephone.

Examples of 9-1-1 emergencies are:

  • Fire
  • A crime in progress
  • Immediate medical issues

9-1-1 will connect you to an ambulance, police or fire services to help you.

Translation services

If you do not speak English, translation services in over 140 languages are available. Ask for service in your language if you cannot explain the situation in English, or if you cannot understand the call-taker.

Ambulance fee

If you have to take an ambulance to a hospital, you must pay a small fee.

Community health centres

Community Health Centres (CHCs) are non-profit organizations that provide health care to newcomers, refugees or anyone who might otherwise have difficulty getting the help they need. You may be eligible for services at a CHC even if you do not have a health card (OHIP).

Services are free or provided at a very low cost by doctors, nurses, and nurse practitioners. All services are confidential and some tests such as pregnancy and HIV/AIDS test may be anonymous.

In addition to medical care CHCs may have:

  • Anti-racism programs
  • Clinical procedures
  • Culturally-sensitive care in different languages
  • Domestic violence prevention and treatment
  • Parenting education
  • Sexual health education
  • Support for teenage mothers
  • Support for seniors

CHC locations in Peel Region


East Mississauga Community Health Centre

  • 2555 Dixie Road, Unit 7
  • Mississauga ON L4Y 4C4 
  • Tel: 905-602-4082
  • [map]

Four Corners Health Centre

  • Westwood Square
  • 7205 Goreway Drive
  • Mississauga ON L4T 2T9
  • Tel: 905-677-9599
  • [map]


Bramalea Community Health Centre

Victorian Order of Nurses Peel also provides high-quality home care, personal support and community services to those living in Peel.


The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) does not cover most dental services. It covers some dental surgery, including fractures or jaw reconstruction in a hospital.

The government of Canada has implemented the interim Canada Dental Benefit, which is designed to provide some financial assistance to Canadian families seeking dental care. With this benefit, families can begin addressing some of their young children's basic dental care needs while the government works to develop a long-term Canadian dental care program. A factsheet about the Canada Dental Benefit is available in multiple languages.

Dental plans

Many employers offer dental plans as part of an employee benefits package. Dental plans help employees pay for dental procedures such as cleaning teeth and gums, x-rays, filling cavities and removing wisdom teeth. If you do not have an employee plan, you can buy an individual plan from a private insurance company.

Dental services for families without insurance

Dental services are available through the Region of Peel by appointment only to children 0 to 17 years of age whose families cannot afford dental insurance.

Your child may qualify if he or she meets the following requirements:

  • Reside in Peel Region
  • 0 to 17 years of age
  • The cost of the dentist is too expensive for your family
  • Your family does not have dental insurance through work or a private plan

To find out if your child qualifies for Region of Peel dental services or to book an appointment, contact Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700.

Screening appointment

Once your child qualifies for free dental services, he or she goes to a "screening appointment." A Region of Peel dental hygienist will check your child's mouth to determine if he/she qualifies for dental services such as urgent dental treatment or preventive dental care.

Other dental resources

Seniors' dental program

The Peel Region Seniors' Dental Program helps seniors who don't have dental insurance and can't afford to pay for dental care. The program provides basic dental services.

To find out if you are eligible, call Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700.

Family doctor

Finding a family doctor is important to make sure that you and your family get proper medical attention.

Call 1-800-445-1822 or visit Health Care Connect to help you find a family doctor in and around the area you live, however, you also need to keep looking for a health care provider on your own as well. You can call your local hospital or ask your friends or relatives if their doctor is accepting new patients.

When you look for a family doctor, think about the following:

  • Do you prefer a male or a female doctor?
  • Do you prefer a doctor who speaks your language?
  • Is the doctor close to your home?
  • Is the doctor accepting new patients?
  • Which hospital is the doctor affiliated with?


Peel Region is home to several excellent hospitals that provide comprehensive health care and emergency services for everyone in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon.


Trillium Health Partners has 2 hospitals in Mississauga.

The Credit Valley Hospital 

  • 2200 Eglinton Avenue West
  • Mississauga, ON L5N 2N1
  • Tel: 905-813-2200
  • [map]

Mississauga Hospital 

  • 100 Queensway West
  • Mississauga, ON L5B 1B8
  • Tel: 905-848-7100
  • [map]


William Osler Health system as 1 hospital in Brampton.

Brampton Civic Hospital

  • 2100 Bovaird Drive East
  • Brampton, ON L6R 3J7
  • Tel: 416-494-2120905-494-2120
  • [map]


Headwaters Health Care Centre 

  • Orangeville Site
  • 100 Rolling Hills Drive
  • Caledon, ON L9W 4X9
  • Tel: 519-941-2410
  • [map]


Your child must have an up-to-date immunization record to attend school in Ontario.

Immunizations needed to attend school are free.

If your child has been immunized outside of Ontario or Canada, he or she might need additional immunizations. Peel Public Health will translate immunization records from outside Canada for free and offer free immunization clinics for school-aged children, even without an Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card.

Call Peel Public Health 905-799-7700 for an appointment.

Local immunization resources

Mental health

Often as a newcomer you face many challenges while settling down in a new country. You may be far away from family and friends, face financial difficulties, have to learn a new language, find a job and adapt to a brand new culture.

Through all of this, it is important you take good care of you and your family's' mental health. Depression, anxiety, marital and relationship issues and other mental health problems can be common amongst newcomers to Canada. These mental health issues can affect anyone of any ethnicity, religion, occupation or level of education.


Counselling can help families and individuals who are struggling with problems such as:

  • Conflict between different generations (e.g. difficulty of raising children in a new culture)
  • Culture shock
  • Depression
  • Family violence
  • Job loss
  • Marriage problems, separation or divorce

Counselling services

Counselling services are available in Peel at many locations including hospitalsplaces of worship and community health centres. Counseling in your own language and/or cultural setting may also be available. Many public agencies offer counseling services for free or depending on your income.

Mental health resources

If you or a family member suffers from mental illness or just need someone to talk to, there are resources available to help you cope.

  • Spectra Community Support Services provides free, anonymous, confidential distress and emotional support over the phone for anyone who needs a caring, compassionate and non-judgmental listener.
  • anonymous peer support community that is accessible anytime it also provides free online self assessment tools, guided courses on ways to manage anxiety and depression as well as a safe space to express yourself without judgement.
  • BounceBack® is a free skill-building program designed to help manage low mood, mild to moderate depression and anxiety, stress or worry. Delivered over the phone with a coach and through online videos, you will get access to tools that will support you on your path to mental wellness.
  • Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Peel provides a variety of mental health services and is committed to community development, mental health awareness and addressing the stigma surrounding mental illness. 
  • Good2Talk (1-866-925-5454) is a free, confidential helpline for all Ontario post-secondary students seeking counseling or referrals regarding mental health and addictions.
  • Alone in Canada: 21 Ways to Make it Better is a self-help guide for single newcomers developed by a team at Canadian Association of Mental Health, to help new immigrants adjust to living in a new society as quickly and easily as possible. This guide is also available in other languages.
  • Newcomer Information Centre or a Settlement Service Organization - can give you information on mental health services and resources available in Peel.
  • Region of Peel is providing residents with resources on mental wellbeing to support them during COVID-19.

 Getting immediate help

If you or someone you know is in crisis and needs immediate help, go to the nearest hospital or call 9-1-1. 

Learn more about mental health

To learn more about understanding mental health illness and finding help, visit:

Midwifery services

Midwives are health-care professionals who provide free, expert primary care to pregnant people and their newborns. Their services are covered by Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) and Ontario residents not covered by OHIP can also receive midwifery care free of charge.

Finding a midwife

You don't need a referral from a doctor to have a midwife. You can find a midwife by:

For more information

Prevention early identification program or PEP-Start clinics

The PEP-Start Clinic is a free, drop-in clinic for Peel Region families with children who are newborn to 5 years old. You can contact PEP-Start Clinics at 905-568-8897 to get information on clinic locations and services.

You can ask professionals from community agencies about:

  • Infant/toddler development
  • Speech and language
  • Parenting and behaviour
  • Preschool development

Special needs services

The Peel Inclusion Resource Services (PIRS) is a program that provides access to services that support the inclusion of young children with special needs in licensed child care. Parents and professionals seeking support or services for children aged birth to 6 years can call Child Care SNAP-Peel at 905-791-7800 ext. 7627.

Coordinated Information Peel is a free service for people with developmental disabilities. It provides information on services funded by the provincial government under the Child and Family Services Act and the Developmental Services Act. This includes how to get services, where you can find agencies and costs.

You can get the information in a variety of languages.

To speak to an Information and Referral Specialist at Coordinated Info Peel call:

  • Mississauga and Brampton - 905-890-9432
  • Caledon - 1-888-836-5550

Assistance for travelers with disabilities

TransHelp is a transit service for people living in Peel who regularly use a wheelchair due to functional mobility problems, or are physically unable to board public transit vehicles.

Walk-in clinics

Walk-in clinics provide health care if you are sick and do not have a family doctor or are unable to reach your family doctor.

Generally, appointments are not needed. It is best to call before visiting in person to check the clinics hours and availability as they are subject to change. Some clinics are open on weekends and holidays.

Finding a walk-in clinic

Search for a walk-in clinic near you or look in the yellow pages of your telephone book under "clinics - medical" or "walk-in clinics.”

Contact Us