Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
Once you arrive in Peel Region and wish to learn English, you can apply to take the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) class. LINC classes are free and available for every adult in your family, not just the person who may be looking for work.
These classes are offered at various locations throughout Peel Region by community based organizations, ethno-specific organizations, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board and Sheridan College.
- Are free to adults who qualify
- Are offered full-time and part-time, during weekends and in the evenings
- Offer free child care while you attend classes
- May provide transportation
Canadian citizens and refugee claimants are not eligible for LINC.
LINC home study
This is a free language training program for newcomers to Canada who cannot attend classroom programs due to a number of reasons. You can study in your home and have contact with a teacher every week.
To qualify for the LINC Home Study program, you must:
- Have your current English language skills assessed
- Be 18 years or older
- Be either a permanent resident or a newcomer who has been allowed to remain in Canada, to whom Citizenship and Immigration Canada intends to grant permanent resident status and who has not become a Canadian citizen.
It is important to note that Canadian citizens and refugee claimants are not eligible for LINC.
Where to have your current English skills assessed
To have your current English language skills tested before starting a LINC class, contact the nearest Peel Language Assessment Centre to book an appointment.
A language assessment is not a pass-fail test. It is a way to find out which class would benefit you the most.
After your assessment, you will receive information about when and where to register and what school you will attend.